Monday, July 30, 2012

On Dogs, Expectations, and Age


30/52: Bigger the Better, originally uploaded by mandypug.


I admire dogs a lot. Their pure happiness is contageous. Probably the reason I prefer to spend time with them over people (dog people being the exception). They've got this thing called life mastered. The sheer zest for life and appreciation of the little things is admirable. Like in the photograph above. It's just an ugly stick, found at your neighbourhood park for free. I had a squeaky tennis ball for her but she wanted the big ol' free stick. How many times would you choose something so cheap and simple over something costly and pretty? Perhaps it's something we should do more often.

What are my expectations of my dog. Well I need to think more on that, I'm sure they change every day. I really just want my dog to be happy, stay healthy, and do her best for me. My expectations for myself? Be fair, loving, and kind to this dog who day after day gives me her all. I must love her for who she is and I most certainly do. She's got a funky eye from an old injury and it's really hit me hard lately as she's been having trouble with light sometimes. She could just refuse to play, but we've worked so hard and she does truly love the game and really tries her hardest even when things get tricky. You can fix a muscle injury most times, not that I'd wish my never-been-lame-ever dog (knock on wood) would come up lame, but eyes are trickier and her injury cannot be fixed. This dog is not going to be able to play forever and I'm probably making it a harder blow than it is. She's my first agility dog and I want her to live and play forever, but neither of those things will happen. Should I lower my expectations despite her will to push through? Should I raise them and really start training and trialling hard before her eyes go for good? I don't think either is necessary. I think I will continue to expect her to try her best with me. She's a good little dog.

Izzie will be 4 tomorrow. I know she's not very old, but it feels like I've had her forever. I can't imagine life withouther. It means I haven't had a puppy in the house in 4 years, which is the longest I've gone since moving to the city. I really want a puppy while Izzie is still relatively young. I've become a planner though, and I want to do things right this time. Izzie was a stroke of luck puppy re-home, a compromise so I didn't get a rescue Border Collie. It could've been disastrous, I could've gotten a dog that wasn't her and didn't have her energy or talent and I would be in a very different place than I am right now. Like they say (who they are, I don't know but they're saying it) you don't always get the dog you want but you get the dog you need. It's true, Izzie has taught me more about dogs and life in general than I ever imagined. Sappy but true. I wouldn't trade this funny little dog for anything, not even the most talented agility dog with good eyes in the world. Although, I still want a puppy real bad. I think Izzie would like a little sibling too, the other dogs in the house won't play with her. However, for now I can't dwell on my puppylessness. Gotta enjoy my little talented freakishly aware dog.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered if you would blog about her vision problem lately. It's weird- but it doesn't happen all the time. I think you need to continue on as you have been. You are a great dog mom to the little pug- you aren't putting her in jeopardy or pushing too hard, or not enough. Everything you do with her is just perfect. I do think that as things get trickier the issue will pop up more- but you are aware of that and can handle to help her if needed. Izzie will let you know when she is uncomfortable or doesn't want to play. But I predict that won't be happening anytime soon!!! That pug has a whole lotta heart left!

    PS. Puppy Fever is a dangerous thing, one that can't be cured without said Puppy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous comment. No need to push, but no need to retire either. Izzie wouldn't want to slow down, and is probably enjoying things being normal and consistent despite her eye condition. She sounds like a great dog. Love that she is "freakishly aware"...haha! Just like my Boston T. I vote for a little sibling to play with. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete