Rally and Obedience.
I like them don't get me wrong, but if I could only do one sport for the rest of my life it would be agility. It's my passion.
However, I do appreciate a well trained obedience dog who's happy to work with and loves their handler. That's a whole 'nother post that I doubt I'll ever write... But I digress.
Izzie and I travelled out to Cowley today with Sarah to go to the fun match at the Southern Alberta Working Herding Dog Association (wow that's a mouthful! SAWHDA for short). There was two rings set up, one for rally and one for obedience. Izzie and I ran through a novice rally course a couple times, once on leash and once off. As usual our off lead heeling is a million times better than off leash (I can feel you giving me that "that's why I make you work on leash in class" look Amanda...) and the distraction of working at the same time as Sarah and Gyp in the obedience ring was a huuuuge challenge for Izzie as she loves her aunty Sarah and idolizes her cousin Gyp. She worked through it though with encouragement, what a good girly.
![]() |
| She really liked Gyp's pointy nose dumbbell even though it squished up her cheeks. |
![]() |
| Nailed it! |
We watched novice obedience and then it came time for the sits and downs for that and Izzie and I were encouraged to use it as practise, so we did. Izzie nailed the one minute sit AND the long down, despite a very resistant Border Collie next to her. Again, good girly!
After watching Sarah and Gyp do their open routine, we headed back to the city and to our respective homes to have naps. I am very proud of Izzie, she's come a long way from being paranoid of me stepping on her during heeling and freaked out by me being too far away from her. She's getting more and more confident the more activities we do! Can't wait for our rally advanced debut next month and hopefully a novice obedience debut in the new year!


Funny, I'm the exact opposite, I LOVE obedience & agility is just so so :)
ReplyDeleteIzzie did awesome on that sit & down, especially as the crazy lady with the border collie, that shouldn't have even attempted the stays, was right beside her.....oops, did I say that out loud?? lol!
Anyway, you should be very proud of the pug, she was the only one that help her stays!
ha! I know who both of you are talking about. I always feel so bad for that dog. :(
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that Izzie was good! Stays are tough for sure and do take a lot of practice, practice, practice. (Just like weaves! ;) )