Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pain in the Ass

Photo by Wendy Devent of Paws on the Run Photography

Literally.

Izzie's a very healthy little dog. We rarely have had to see the vet save for her spay, her eye injury, a couple allergic reactions and now... Anal gland issues.

She's had 2 ruptures in the past year. Before 8 or so months ago there was no issues. She didn't lick/chew or drag her butt, didn't really even have enough soft poop to make me think there would be an issue. She's four and it's just this year that it's happened twice. Sigh. 

So 10 days ago we visited our vet again because her left gland ruptured. Not cool. Especially 3 days before a trial. A couple days of metacam and a round of anti-biotics and she's all healed up and was okayed to trial that weekend too. She even ran really well despite having an extra hole back there! Wasn't bothered a bit by it.

This has been a major pain in the ass, literally for the pug and figuratively for me. She'll be getting her butt checked and squeezed regularly from now on. I'm not doing it myself, no way. But luckily I have a friend willing to help me out haha (go check out her page).

Anyway, Izzie is back to her old self now and we're headed off to yet another trial next weekend in cowtown. I love trialling and Izzie does too, she gets extra treats though so I think that's mostly why.  

4 comments:

  1. Not fun at all! But glad she is feeling ok now. Have fun at the trials!
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I can help the poor girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good golly, a rupture?!? Never had that happen before but I do have to go in for the ol' butt squeeze pretty often. You are a trooper Izzie!

    Coco (and Kitty)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Izzie. My Cavalier had to have his anal glands removed - it was a godsend to him.

    ReplyDelete