Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What a Pug Should Look Like



That's what Izzie is according to her rehab vet.

No joke, she even took photos so she could show her off.

I've been working hard on Izzie's fitness. I do believe it plays an important part in her endurance and even in her drive. Heck if I wasn't strong enough to do something comfortable do you think I'd want to do it? No way.

Anyway, we've been doing mucho peanut ball work as well as regular walks on and off leash. Hills, flats, fast pace short walks, slow pace long walks, running, etc. Then on top of all that, lots of stretching. I stretch this dog all the time, before and after activities, before bed, when she wakes up. Massage massage massage, stretch stretch stretch. Takes a bit of extra time but so worth it. I can see a difference and it's only been a couple months of doing much of anything.

Practising shooting blind.

Izzie's weakness is her lower back and rear end. She muscles in the front well and has always had a skinny little behind and her back has always been a bit roachy. You can see it in photos.

However after I've been working on it more with her, doing exercises that strengthen those things, I've seen an amazing difference. Her back end is visibly more muscled and her core is stronger and a bit thicker (not in a fatty way, if that makes sense) and she even stands more squarely now, no more cheating and standing all crooked and weird. Her back is also levelling out and although it will never be that flat show dog back, it's getting stronger and the roaching in bad places is going away.

As for her energy level? It's increased dramatically. After breakfast instead of going back to bed, she wants to play ball or bitey face or run around. She gets bored with doing nothing wants to go walking and chase birds and bark at frisbee golfers (see, even the pug knows frisbee golf is lame).

Run Izzie Run!

Anyway what i'm getting at is conditioning pays off if you work hard at it.

As for the appointment? Well she saw Dr. Devall last month up in Calgary to check out her weird tricep thing, which went away with stretching and crate rest. She had a few adjustments needed and some laser and traumeel. Her whole body was rotated to her left, kinda how heeling makes her turn. So with all that done when i heard she was coming to town i figured it wouldn't hurt to have a follow up visit. Luckily everything stayed put and she only needed a few little things. Her head was on straight and her pelvis wasn't tilted, and she noted that Iz is noticeably more muscular in the rear.

So all in all, she's the picture of health and the poster child of what a healthy, in shape, active Pug should look like.

  The usual result of shooting blind.

Ya, she's pretty awesome.

1 comment: